[wp-hackers] The problem with Contributions and This Thread

Vid Luther vid at zippykid.com
Fri Dec 31 00:27:05 UTC 2010

Will,
  I didn't think you were big dicking, or anything like that. The only
two people guilty of that on this thread were Nacin and Jacob, I
personally don't care who thinks they've earned the right to.. in my
book no one has earned the right to be a dick, ever.

I understand Nacin and the rest of the core teams frustrations, 3.1 is
behind, it's making them and us look bad, and committing bugs that are
low priority, non show stoppers during an RC is plain silly.

Trusted users don't need a badge, trust is earned, I'm just curious why
someone like Jacob is not on the trusted list, if he has indeed made as
many contributions as he says he has.

The point Jacob is trying to make, is that if he's contributing, his
work shouldn't be diminished to "we don't have time for your low
priority crap".. which is the attitude that seems to have been emanating
from his emails.

You can't ask the community for help, and then make fun of them for
contributing to something you're not interested in, or were expecting
help from.  If the ticket is open, and someone submits a patch, it
shouldn't go ignored, either the ticket should be closed, or be put in
the attic.

Again, I'm not saying anyone here is the only one at fault,
unfortunately the pressure of a release, combined with delays, is
putting everyone on edge.

I'm not saying we all need to sing kumbaya, just that we need to realize
egos are getting in the way of productivity, and then move on with it.

All I'm proposing is that we address this issue AFTER 3.1 final is out,
let the core team enjoy the holidays a bit, ring in the new year... and
as I said in my first email to this thread, let's all thank the core
team, and the contributors, even if their patches didn't make it into
core yet.. their work is not going un noticed, even if it may look like
it, during time crunches like this.

Man.. I sound like a hippy don't I? :)