[wp-hackers] The problem with Contributions and This Thread

Jesus Lizama beautifulcrimes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 22:49:02 UTC 2010

Maybe I'm just bias, but the WordPress Core seems to be doing a great job at
what they're doing. The way things are being managed seems to be working
just fine. Why fix something that isn't broken?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Peter Westwood
<peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>wrote:

> On 30 Dec 2010, at 20:44, Doug Stewart wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Peter Westwood
> > <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Giving someone commit access to focus on lower priority tickets benefits
> no-one.
> >>
> >> It just causes code churn, lack of project focus, and makes it more
> likely that important bugs will get ignored.
> >
> > With all due respect, where's your proof for this? I suppose that a
> > good bit of this judgement would need to be made on a ticket-by-ticket
> > basis, but still...
> >
> > If the tickets are legitimate yet somehow lower priority, how could
> > there possibly be no benefit?
>

> The core team try and review every change that is made to the code to
> ensure that it is correct, doesn't introduce bugs etc.
>
> There time should be focussed on the most important bugs.
>
> Giving someone access to rush through all those easy trivial lower priority
> tickets with patches and commit them increases the workload for the core
> team and anyone else who reviews all the changesets.
>
> Therefore less time is available for important bugs.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Peter Westwood
> http://blog.ftwr.co.uk | http://westi.wordpress.com
> C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5

Jesus Lizama
Designer - Spifffy.com
Cell: (323)336-2953