[wp-hackers] WordPress 3.1 Requirements

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Thu Dec 16 15:56:35 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 10:49 AM, Dre Armeda wrote:
> On 12/16/10 7:44 AM, Eric Mann wrote:
>> I can confirm that automatic updates fail for PHP<  5 on at least
>> GoDaddy, 1and1 and
>> MediaTemple.  However, WordPress still works just fine and you can still
>> perform a manual (FTP) update.
> I have various customers on GoDaddy and MediaTemple running PHP < 5
> and they're able to auto-updatee just fine. Not sure I've ever seen a
> problem with auto-udates isolated to the specific PHP version.
>
> Just wanted to throw that out there, not sure this is a PHP version
> problem.

Good point. There could be something turned off by default on the PHP4
that isn't off in php5.  WAAAAAY back when, on what drove me to php5 on
1and1.com was that some  fancy new plugin called "Gravatars" couldn't
automatically download the files the local images.  IIRC 1and1 had
file_get_contents() or some such turned off on php4.  php5 worked fine.
That was 4+ years ago, so the exact function eludes me, but it sounds
like this could be a similar issue.

-Brian.