[wp-hackers] WordPress 3.1 Requirements

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Thu Dec 16 15:44:51 UTC 2010

PHP 4.3+ is a requirement for WordPress to operate, but some features will
still be incompatible with those versions of PHP.  I can confirm that
automatic updates fail for PHP < 5 on at least GoDaddy, 1and1 and
MediaTemple.  However, WordPress still works just fine and you can still
perform a manual (FTP) update.

At the same time, it is possible in almost all cases to upgrade your hosting
from PHP4 to PHP5.

   - Godaddy:
   http://www.ardamis.com/2009/07/25/upgrading-godaddy-hosting-to-php-5-x-from-php-4-3-11/
   - 1and1: http://faq.1and1.com/scripting_languages_supported/php/5.html
   - MediaTemple:
   http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/244/How+can+I+specify+the+version+of+php+for+web+applications+on+the+(gs)+Grid-Service%3F

PHP4 compatibility has been maintained for so long with WordPress for people
who aren't able to upgrade their PHP installation, either because they don't
know how or because their hosts don't allow it.  With just about any
mainstream web host, though, it's possible to upgrade almost instantaneously
by selecting a toggle somewhere, changing your .htaccess file, or adding a
line to php.ini.  In any case, the upgrade to PHP5 takes less time than the
automatic update does in WordPress - if you can, do it.

But the actual system requirements for a new installation of WordPress are
the same: PHP 4.3 and MySQL 4.1.2.