[wp-hackers] WP Development & Production Sites

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Dec 16 14:21:54 UTC 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Andrew Gray wrote:

> There are two big issues with deploying a website from development to a live site
>
> 1. The serialized arrays, plugin paths and other places the URL is stored
> 2. A way to export or deploy new pages, menus, plugin configuration, etc from development to production

Funny I was just going to say this anyway, and then you went and asked the question!

Something I've figured out to do is to make sure my dev URL has the same number of characters as the live URL, so as to avoid mucking up serialized arrays if I have to do a mass search/replace.

So... I used to use example.local for developing example.com.  Now I use example.dev

Also -- As this clearly a case that a lot of people have issues with, it would be nice if somebody (who understands the solutions better than I do) would write a "Dev Site" Plugin that automatically swaps in the Dev URL on a test site.  The way I see it it would be a plugin you run on the dev site, and you don't need it on the live site.  Thus the extra overhead, etc doesn't affect the live site.

Regards to all (and Happy Christmas!)

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/