[wp-hackers] Licensing and Copyright Issues with the Hello Dolly Plugin

Mark Jaquith markjaquith at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 20:06:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:31 PM, hakre <hanskrentel at yahoo.de> wrote:
> First, it does not specify it's license. So users who download[1] it
> do not know about it's license.

Sure, we could specify that it is GPL in the plugin. It's a good example to set.

> In the related ticket #15769[2] lead developer markjaquith wrote[3],
> the distribution of the code is intended for "non-commercial" and
> "educational" use.
>
> If the use of the plugin is really limited to non-commercial and edu-
> cational use, then this would be incompatible with the GPL as you can
> not restrict commercial use of GPLed code.

I said *no* such thing. I said "The purpose is non-commercial and,
yes, educational." In context, it should be clear that I am talking
about the purpose and rationale behind its *existence*, not
establishing restrictions on its *use*. It's bewildering that you'd
jump to such a bad faith interpretation of my words.

Regarding copyright and fair use — I weighed in already. This is not
an appropriate place to debate the matter.

--
Mark Jaquith