[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Tue Dec 14 07:55:58 UTC 2010

On 12/13/2010 11:14 PM, Chip Bennett wrote:
> Do a Google search for "Free WordPress Themes" and just take a gander at the
> sites that come up. You'll run into all kinds of this crap.
>
> Chip
Agreed.  I would say it is more common than not on many of the "free"
theme sites out there.  That's why I tell people to go with themes from
WordPress.org and established theme vendors.

& obfuscating the whole functions.php?  That's just wrong and would piss
me off too.  I was upset enough  the other day that I had to undo a
bunch of work and testing on a server build because I belatedly found
binary php files in two areas in the main site paying for it.  The site
had two products obfuscated with different methods. One I got working
after installing the tool they used, the other one required me to scrap
APC (& reconfig W3TC) and rebuild php with the Zend Optimizer so Zend
Guard could work.  These weren't WordPress plugins, so the GPL didn't
enter into it. It was just really annoying.

-Brian