[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Sun Dec 12 23:10:32 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 5:41 AM, Nicolas Kuttler wrote:

> Do you have a source for that? That would certainly be a reason for
> removing the plugin from the repository.
I went back and looked at the licensing. The wording applies for their
premium plugins - which are not GPL.

The text I was remembering is now on a new site and probably somewhat
rearranged but it currently reads:

    *Additional Information*
    Non-profit organisations may use the Single Blogger License.
    The Business License is for any organisation that has more than one
    staff member and individuals building e-commerce sites for clients
    that have more than one staff member - currently this is the only
    difference.

At the time, I thought that applied to the core plugin as well.
Obviously it does not.  Whether or not plugins that extend GPL plugins
that extend WordPress must be GPL is not a debate I care to get into.
WP eCommerce is definitely GPL and I was glad to support them with $40 +
$10 of plugins I bought. (Even after it replaced all of that
functionality with my own code.)

-Brian