[wp-hackers] Customize Wordpress Emails

Ryan Bilesky rbilesky at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 18:05:01 UTC 2010

That's probably true in most cases.

But there are a lot of calls to this already in core.  Some send useful
stuff that I personally just don't want, like a notification when a comment
is awaiting moderation - generally can be useful but for me could get to be
a lot of emails.  Some of the stuff it sends to be equally as blunt is
simply. Useless, I imagine in many cases, like I noticed one that emails the
admin each time a user resets their password, now there may be times where
someone wants that but that seems to me to be probably something rare that a
plugin could do for those who might want it.

For me this makes sense to just shut down wp's email system then build my
own hooking into the actions that I want to trigger an email, and this way
it dosen't matteer to me what emails you add to core or an email adds, since
I already am setup to send every type of email I want.

I probably have a fairly unique usecase for wordpress but that's ok.
Atleast I didn't have to kill a kitten for this, lol, because I've already
had to do some core hacks.  But I thnk one of my hacks won't be necessary
after 3.1 because it a bugfix that I think will be included then.

So anyway my point is this is a good method, still alittle hackey but works,
IF you want to completly disable the wordpress email system in favor for
handling all your own emails.

I'll just leave it at that since I'm on my mobile.

On Dec 12, 2010 3:22 AM, "Andrew Nacin" <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Ryan Bilesky <rbilesky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ultimately I looked at ...
Um, okay. So any time we add a new wp_mail() call in core (which we surely
will), or whenever a plugin wants to send mail, no mail gets sent.

That's a cheap hack and I would not recommend that. I say this bluntly
because while it might suit your specific needs, there are a few hundred
other people who read this list, and I really would hate to see them picking
up bad techniques such as this one.

Nacin