[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Andy Charrington-Wilden andycharrington at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 09:21:26 UTC 2010

Please correct me if I'm wrong but

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/

Seems to imply that a plugin has to be gpl compatible to be hosted on .org. It does not say that a plugin not hosted on .org has to be gpl compatible. Does it?

I suppose it is difficult to monitor a plugin not hosted on the repository but I feel there should be better definition of the guidelines for plugins in general.

It seems that profiting from plugins is a bit of a taboo subject. Is this because it is genuinely frowned upon by the community or because it is actually against the ethos of wordpress. Which may be the same thing.

It is interesting to me that there is little online regarding premium plugin development.

Should wordpress (matt) simply take a stance on premium plugins? Has he already?

Andy

Sent from my iPhone