[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Michael Torbert mrtorbert at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 00:35:38 UTC 2010

Having code on a remote server just for the purpose of locking it away
in order to charge is against the ideals of open source, and
WordPress. It's also frowned on by .org and you may find your plugin
removed if you do such a thing.

Having a plugin that is a client interface to access a server/hosted
service (like Akismet) is just fine.

*I agree. Selling support is certainly a great way of doing it.

I had considered having key code on a remote server but wondered if
that went against the 'ethos' of wordpress as a community?

Do you think profiting (or trying to) by utilising the wordpress
platform is immoral or wrong in anyway? Not in terms of being paid to
develop or design for wordpress. But in the sense that we can build
something on top of the platform that we then charge for?*