[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Dec 10 17:47:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Peter Westwood
<peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:
> A large %age of the time the patch will apply (maybe with some fuzz) and if not it can be manually applied in a number of different ways.

Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to get that. Patches will apply to
any version of WordPress, as long as the differences are not too
great. So usually a patch made against stable will apply to trunk, or
vice-versa. The "patch" tool has always been able to do "fuzzy"
patching of diffs. It's not great at it, but it does work for the most
part.

Now, somebody else said that git's patch system works better because
it can track movement of code across files better and it has more
information to work with, and from my research last night, that is
probably true. But generally speaking, unless you're trying to patch
something that has been refactored in a fairly major way anyway, the
normal diff/patch system can often handle it. In the case of
conflicts, you can go back in and just manually fix the affected
lines.

And if the system has been altered enough to where patch just throws
up and says no, then the diff probably needs to be refreshed anyway.
This is true for all systems.

-Otto