[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Fri Dec 10 10:32:31 UTC 2010

Otto wrote:
> Okay, but is that a function of git or a function of github?

GitHub is really just a nice UI on top of Git. That's really just doing
a `git diff reddit/master...rmccue/master`

> I guess my confusion here stems from the fact that you seem to be
> mixing up a lot of things that should be separate. Trac is not SVN,
> for example. And while yes, given a couple of URLs I can use a command
> line of SVN to make a diff of two separate repositories and such, it's
> not something I would want to do often. Basically, it sounds like a
> pain in the ass.

Sure, but currently, you get patches via Trac, and you can view them
through the UI on there. GitHub (as a tool) can do that same thing, but
also give you the context of the commits.

If someone had just a Git repository, you could do it through the git
command line itself, or a multitude of other ways.

> (Note, not talking WP process here now, just general thoughts)
>
> When somebody sends me changes, I expect them to send me a file full
> of their changes. I expect to read that file to see their changes. If
> they send me a URL, then that's more burden on me. Now I have to go
> and get their changes from somewhere. Now I have to go and do merges
> to get their changes. Now I have to craft annoying command lines or
> use online web tools just to see their changes.

The majority of patches for WordPress come via Trac, and I'd assume
that's where most people would get the patches from. If you're already
using that web interface, why not integrate it into your web interface?

I'd love to answer any other questions, and discuss this further with
you, but I feel we're probably getting a bit off topic here. Feel free
to email me off-list if you'd like to discuss this further.

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>