[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Dec 10 10:11:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Ryan McCue <lists at rotorised.com> wrote:
> Otto wrote:
>> I think you're missing the point. I almost never actually apply other
>> people's patches. I don't have to. I simply read them. You know, with
>> my eyes.
>>
>> If you give me a URL or whatever link to your branch, how do I see it?
>> How can I see what your code changes are?
>
> I do the same, and you can use the same workflow of patches if you'd
> prefer. If you'd prefer not to use patches, and use Git's, the web
> interfaces work extremely well for this.
>
> Take, for example, the changes I've been making to reddit's iPhone
> application. This works well as an example, since it's the same workflow
> as (I expect) people would use with WP. I forked their repository, and
> have been working on it on my own repository. You can check my changes
> at any time through something like:
>
> https://github.com/rmccue/iReddit/compare/master

Okay, but is that a function of git or a function of github?

I guess my confusion here stems from the fact that you seem to be
mixing up a lot of things that should be separate. Trac is not SVN,
for example. And while yes, given a couple of URLs I can use a command
line of SVN to make a diff of two separate repositories and such, it's
not something I would want to do often. Basically, it sounds like a
pain in the ass.

(Note, not talking WP process here now, just general thoughts)

When somebody sends me changes, I expect them to send me a file full
of their changes. I expect to read that file to see their changes. If
they send me a URL, then that's more burden on me. Now I have to go
and get their changes from somewhere. Now I have to go and do merges
to get their changes. Now I have to craft annoying command lines or
use online web tools just to see their changes.

Why can't they just send me their changes directly? Seems a whole hell
of a lot simpler to me than to rely on a bunch of tools and web sites
and management systems... Just send me the damn changes and let me
look at them. Then I can decide whether to merge them or not. Then I
can tell you what I think and give feedback. Making me jump through a
bunch of hoops just to even SEE your changes is ridiculous.

-Otto