[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 05:53:57 UTC 2010

Otto:
SVN has always stunk at merging, and the Collab.net guys (and now Apache Foundation, I suppose) will readily admit that. It is a difficult matter.

The problem is that you're still coming at this from an RCS/CVS/SVN "repo is king" mindset. I'm on my mobile, so I'll let the following link describe exactly what I mean:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43995/why-is-branching-and-merging-easier-in-mercurial-than-in-subversion

It's a mindjack at first, especially if you're used to an orderly hierarchy for changes, but once you glom onto the distributed mindset, it's really a game-changer.

--
Doug Stewart