[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Curtis McHale curtis at curtismchale.ca
Fri Dec 10 00:29:12 UTC 2010

Made me laugh out loud too. After a semi crappy day of clients that was
awesome. Thanks Mike. Since it's on list now anyways I'll respond at
least initially below,

To answer some of the questions. No I haven't been a core commiter on a
project. I have contributed to RVM a few times. Specifically I've
contributed to their site function and documentation. I've also forked
and sent a pull request for a project management system that escapes me
right now as well as using it (for the first time) in the RailsRumble
'09 (with no command line experience and as the designer). I also use it
regularly in teams for any Rails work I do the frontend on.

I use Git daily as my version control software for all projects.

My issues with Subversion, which may inform anyways, start at I don't
get it. While the patch system may seem totally understandable to some
coming at it from the Git mindset it makes little sense to me. To my
mind it makes more sense that I clone the whole repository and make my
changes. If it's useful I issue a pull request that the core team sees.
They can easily see a diff on that and decide if it's good code (we're
not all like Otto and write it perfect first :).

In larger Open Source projects (I talk with the Datamapper lead
regularly) people often make a few commits then bundle it all into one
before the pull request. This does put responsibility on the person
doing the pull request. In Datamapper the lead doesn't even look at a
patch without documentation and an explanation of the change. Yes he
might miss a patch but we only have so much time.

My general project workflow (WP site dev) is to start a git branch
'development' and work in that. As a portion of work is done I merge it
into my local master and then deploy (if it's just me) or issue a pull
request. If I'm working on a larger item (like modding wp-cycle
recently) I'll name the branch after the feature then merge to
development then master.

Git is also way faster. Though I've never used anything else I sat with
a programmer last night who was saying 'Wow' every few seconds at the
speed of Git. He's been a CVS, SVN guy for years.

The best article I read on Git was:

After reading that it really started to make sense.

Not sure if that specifically answers any questions but if someone is
interested I could put you in touch with the project lead from
Datamapper. I've known him for years and doubt he'll mind talking about
their process on Github and why he chooses it. He's a seriously smart
dude (scouted by Twitter last year) with lots of experience.

If anyone wants to ask more question on or off list feel free.