[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Ankur Oberoi aoberoi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:35:53 UTC 2010

I think moving to distributed scm is a good thing for all.

With that said if some don't want to change their workflow, there is a
solution. git-svn is a tool that comes with git and is a two-way
bridge to svn so I can have the svn history in my git repo and commit
back to svn when I want to merge to that remote. It's a good
intermediate solution if you really want to work in the git workflow
and svn is what you are stuck with.

But the biggest advantage I see is that the notion of "blessed commit
access" would be nullified. Linus put it well in his Google Tech Talk
of 07. You basically look at branches that are proven, already merged,
and possibly have a little fan following already and the acceptance is
simple and painless. The politics of commit access is completely
avoided and more time in the community is spent on coding and adding
features.

As for the plugin repository, asking people to resubmit seems like a
lot to ask, using git-svn for those older ones could be an option
while allowing the newer ones to submit an alternative git repo would
make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone