[wp-hackers] Achieving faceted navigation

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Dec 7 23:59:20 UTC 2010

On Dec 7, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Haluk Karamete wrote:
> But, since categorization of content is a very subjective task and
> humans have so many different angles to see things from, the
> categorization challenge usually becomes a mind-boggling task. I
> realize & accept that there are many right ways of achieving great
> categorizations but I also do know there are definitely the wrong ways
> to go at it. Usually, either the lack of knowledge or pressuring
> deadlines may be the culprit.

You've hit the nail on the head.  Of the top 3 things I've spent my professional career on categorization has been one of them and you are definitely seeing the complexity clearly.

> =====================================
> Approach 1
> =====================================
>
> 1- Screw the topical categories...
> 2- come up with 3-4 semantic top level cats such as...
> 3- Tag your posts like hell.
> 4- After a few hundreds of posts ...
> 5- And if you want to create bigger sections,...

> Approach 2
>
> Do the same, but use Custom Taxonomies for step 2 instead.

What you've described here with Approach 2 was what I was thinking about writing as I started to read your email, so IMO I think you've nailed it.

Hope this helps.

-Mike