[wp-hackers] Page Templates vs Category Templates

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 21:55:18 UTC 2010

with all due respect, Otto, if the web site talks about say breaking
news from countries all over the world, and it is all about that,
wouldn't you start with the continents at the top as your main nav and
be that driven by wp_list_categories?  And with one click, you are
down to the country names ( which are again the product of cats) .

I think you agree that it would make the best sense that we use the
cats as the main kicker for this type of site and there could be
hundreds of thousands of site where "noun" based categorizer be it all
the way at the top or at sub levels are just all over the place.
whether it is a bad or good practice, it is too late fix/teach/fight
against etc.

but yet, ( going back to the original idea of this thread ), we still
have no intuitive way and UI to sort out the layout need without
getting into the php code.

I understand that it is not a matter of if it could be done, and
rather it's an if it should be done.
but i thought this was a just slam dunk.