[wp-hackers] [wp-testers] WordPress 3.0.2

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Thu Dec 2 19:05:40 UTC 2010

I appreciate your sentiment, but I wholeheartedly disagree.

WordPress 3.0.2 was not a feature update.  It didn't add new hooks or
filters.  It didn't change the (expected/documented) behavior of core
functionality.  This new release fixed specific bugs and security
vulnerabilities that existed in WordPress 3.0.1.

To have a public beta period for a security fix announces to the world that
there is a problem and potential exploit for blogs living in the wild and
points out specifically that they have no way to defend themselves.  It
opens every site up to a publicly-known, documented security risk.

Maintenance patches should *always be pushed as quickly as possible to the
market.  They fix live bugs and help site administrators better protect the
content and frameworks for which they're responsible.*

**WordPress 3.1 (the actual feature release) is still in beta and is giving
plug-in and theme developers ample time to bring their systems up-to-spec
with the latest version.  But any system built to the documented specs of
WordPress 3.0.1 should work with 3.0.2 unless you were specifically using
the broken functions in the way we were trying to fix.