[wp-hackers] Looking for the role-capability to set for add_submenu_page

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Aug 27 23:19:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) <philip at frumph.net
> wrote:

> Looking for the role to set for add_submenu_page, if the user is set to
> 'contributor' i want them to have access to the post-types and do what they
> need to do and I verify it and publish it for them.
>
> I'm thinking 'edit_posts' ... but i'm just not sure, the
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities page really doesn't sort
> of explain to (me) what each of the roles abilities (by default) are

edit_posts is indeed the only capability that contributors have, that a
subscriber doesn't. That page is pretty exhaustive, but when in doubt you
can inspect the database entry that defines roles, or source. Just be
careful w/ the source because we've added new capabilities over time and
those are reflected farther down the file. (which is
wp-admin/includes/schema.php).