[wp-hackers] WP.org plugin repository - multiple users

Lox lox.dev at knc.nc
Sun Aug 22 11:19:19 UTC 2010

)2010/8/22 Rich Pedley <elfin at elfden.co.uk>

> Not everyone will learn as fast. It took me 2 years to get to know CVS well
> enough to do anything more than basic stuff. Because most of the time I only
> ever needed the basics - every time I wanted to do anything else I had to
> wade through a ton of documentation to find out how to do things.
>
> To this day I have only ever created one patch.

I agree that CVS and SVN are difficult to learn... and so is Track, yeark...
I stlll don"t get them but I tried many times...

They are difficult to learn but Git is not, really, I was surprised how easy
it has been to learn it, and to teach it to Windows users (I've teach many
non tech guys about it over Gtalk)

>  SO many big famous projects use it with success (linux kernel ...........)
>>

> You're touting that as a success? unless you are pretty tech savvy then
> wading through anything linux wise is a complete and utter nightmare. Not
> everyone comes from a linux background.
>
> Plus what is right for one group of people may be totally wrong for
> another.

Talking about success, Linux is. Ans so is Android, it oversaled iPhone OS
in US. And guess what: it is using GIT. Well there is also Jquery (
http://github.com/jquery/jquery), prototype.js, scripty2 and more.... Linux
was just ONE example.

> I recently dropped out of another project because they moved to git, no way
> will I try and use both. In fact I would rather remove my plugins from the
> repository if it ever changes to git - I dare say I won't be the only one.

You should not be afraid of GIT, it is easy, really. And you're right, more
and more project move to GIT, and most biggest Open source project are using
it, guess what it means....

I do not want to go into a flame war. I just wanted to share my experience:
I've just noticed when I came to wordpress that plugin contribution is a
hassle.

Ideally I'd like to have the ability to choose github has host for my
plugins, as an *alternative* to SVN, not a straight and total move. I am
totally convinced that most plugins will slowly move to it if that happens.

Easing plugin development contributions is all benefit for the Wordpress
community: easier means more contributions, discussions, faster development,
better quality products and so less work to review.

--
Lox
lox.dev at knc.nc