[wp-hackers] Sorting queries by values in custom array?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Aug 19 18:59:48 UTC 2010

Than,

You can do it all in one query SQL and then even cache the results in a custom table since there are only 1600 permutations.  Here's a related question I asked on WordPress Answers:

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/468/optimizing-a-proximity-based-store-location-search-on-a-plain-vanilla-web-host

It could also be done with WP_Query() by adding post_where and post_join hooks but there's no need to use them for this since:

1.) You'll be mucking with the SQL in the hooks anyway,
2.) You'll be calling the query directly (i.e. it's not part of the loop) so you can have full control,  and
3.) The hooks could potentially cause a side effect elsewhere (although what I say next makes this point a bit moot.)

The reason for the custom table (and for not using something like the transients API) is you'll need to join it to your loop query with the posts_join hook, and set the order by using and posts_orderby hook.

Hope this helps.

-Mike