[wp-hackers] multiple databases vs different database prefixes

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Thu Aug 19 16:21:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Ken Zaraque <kenzaraque at gmail.com> wrote:

> @Ryan -That's why I'm cautious about using WP version 3.0's multisite
> feature.  It puts everything in one basket.  All the sites even share a
> common base code ( If I'm not mistaken ).

The answer to your question is that whether it is better to manually upgrade
(or automatically upgrade 300 separate WordPress installs) or upgrade one
single instance of WordPress. Sure it shares the same code, but that just
means you only need to upgrade one place.

Of course, it is also possible to have only one location for WordPress and
then just reference that for each 300 sites. Like a poor mans Multi-site. I
will recommend, after having done that for 4 sites, that you don't do it
that way. Managing was a nightmare. I can't imagine having to deal with that
with 300.

Multi-site also gives tools for a single upgrade and managing all sites
within one wp-admin, instead of 300.

Jacob Santos