[wp-hackers] Let's discuss custom post types and taxonomies.

Kris Young KrisY at tbs.uk.com
Wed Aug 4 18:17:44 UTC 2010

Hi there John,

1) Indeed. I'd rather all posters were able to approach this level-headedly rather than jumping to conclusions as to my intentions with this post (without the opportunity to read the tonality or emotion behind it). I'd rather be discussing than arguing, otherwise I'd probably find myself posting under a different email address than one which holds me accountable to anything I say. I'd be grateful if you could bear these two things in mind scribu, and offer something constructive or skip the thread altogether.

2) It's a question of confidence I think. I don't know much about this feature despite implementing it successfully on two projects, as I copy-pasted from tutorials (to avoid complications in the face of a strict deadline). I don't think I'm comfortable right now with sharing my limited (and fragmented) knowledge on this subject with other people. It's like Chinese Whispers - it will only get worse, and I'll confuse more people than just myself.

3) It just seems a shame. It's a potentially brilliant feature (nobody can really dispute that) but it's locked away in the code. The main problems I had with this were at various unrelated points, namely in the difference between taxonomies and categories within custom post types (so terminology I guess) and the displaying of all my shiny new data. The final opinion on this is until I decide to look at it again in the future, and it's a firm opinion that this feature could be better. I actually do think that documentation would help someone in a similar position to myself - I will actually try and write something and run it by some people before I post it.

Thanks again John,

Kris