[wp-hackers] Customizing the view of custom taxonomies

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Mon Aug 2 18:33:29 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Scott Bressler <sbressler at gmail.com> wrote:

> The drop-down is indeed for editing the available terms themselves. When
> one
> adds a "copy editor" term to the taxonomy, they will pick that this is of
> type "user." Then, there will of course also be a drop-down in the metabox
> itself for choosing a user. If one were to make a "due date" term, they
> would choose "date" as the type when editing the taxonomy. Then in the
> metabox there would be a date selector.

I think your needs require different solutions for each feature, and you are
probably over-estimating the value of taxonomies to solve them.

Your user-related setting about copy editor needs so much special stuff that
it should probably not use taxonomies. Try doing it with custom fields, I
don't think it will be harder than using taxonomies.

Your due date stuff also does not seem like it needs to be taxonomy-based.
Have you looked around at the existing editorial workflow plugins? I think
there are some that solve these problems already.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=editorial

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org