[wp-hackers] Access the total number of pages of a multipage post or page out of the loop

Aldo Latino aldolat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:17:50 UTC 2010

Hi wp-hackers,

In the title element of my pages I have this structure that displays the
number of the current multipage page plus the total number of pages:

«cat-name» Category Archive - Blog Name [this is the first page]
«cat-name» Category Archive | Page 2 of 13 - Blog Name
«cat-name» Category Archive | Page 11 of 13 - Blog Name

and so on...
The same structure is used on all archive pages, search pages, etc.
The code successfully used is:

if (is_category()) {
echo '«'.single_cat_title('', false).'» Category Archive';
if ($paged) { echo ' | Page '.$paged.' of '.$wp_query->max_num_pages;
}

The problem is on single and page pages where I'm not able to get the
total number of pages. I tried:

if ($page) { echo ' | Page '.$page.' of '.$numpages; }

and

if ($page) { echo ' | Page '.$page.' of '.count($pages); }

but $numpages and $pages are active only during the loop.

How can I access the total number of pages of a multipage post or page
in the head section?

--
Aldo Latino
OpenPGP key: 4096R/0xA18E41E8 | bit.ly/keyDSA