[wp-hackers] Why always absolute paths?

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Apr 21 12:58:08 UTC 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Bumbu Alex wrote:

> if you use sef url and you'll give relative path for the image (ex.
> images/top.jpg)
>
> so on page _http://page.com/ you'll have src to _
> http://page.com/images/top.jpg

Correct.

> you can use such src as /images/top.jpg and for the above examples you'll
> have tha same link _http://page.com/images/top.jpg
> but when somebody will have WP installed in subdirectory, but he will use
> default template, instead of getting
> _http://page.com/blog/images/top.jpg
> he will have
> _http://page.com/images/top.jpg

???  If WP is installed in a subdirectory, the root path would include the subdirectory.  I still don't see the problem with root paths.

I've wondered this myself regarding links to media put on a site with the uploader.  Why full URL with the path?  If I move domains or something I have to go into the database and change the URLs for all those links.

Stephen