[wp-hackers] Safe location for "fallback" theme

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Wed Apr 21 12:53:17 UTC 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:03 AM, Peter Westwood wrote:

> This is the /standard/ behaviour if you delete your theme - whatever your theme is and has been for a while
>
> From memory we ended up with this because in the past we used to auto-switch to the /default/ theme when we couldn't find the theme folder on the disk unfortunately this had the behaviour on a number of hosts (I think where NFS is involved) of randomly switching peoples themes back to /default/ which is definitely not desirable.

Just for the record, I wasn't suggesting changing the *setting* -- just using the fallback if the set theme isn't found at the moment.  Put the theme back, it's still the chosen theme.  (This is the way my pull-quotes Styles work.)

> What we could and maybe should do is display a (possibly customisable) error page if we can't find the current theme on the front-end - this could then provide you with a link to the Themes section in the Administration to allow you to go and fix the issue

This is a good solution.

Also FYI -- lack of theme doesn't stop access to admin.  There's just no front end; back end is fine.  So all we need is the error page -- admin can already go in to admin section to fix it, IF he knows what's wrong.

Regards,

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider