[wp-hackers] Why always absolute paths?

Vinicius Massuchetto viniciusandre at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 11:25:43 UTC 2010

Hi all.

I don't know if it can sound stupid, but yesterday a friend of mine
asked about the absolute path functions of Wordpress. Why do we always
have to use them to get images and files from our themes and plugins?
Why don't only enable relative paths, so in themes we could only do
"images/myimage.jpg" instead of "<?php bloginfo('template_directory');
?>/images/myimage.jpg"?

I imagine that these absolute paths ensures the normalization of
Wordpress, so it doesn't matter how hard I customize a theme or a
plugin, it will always find the right path. Is there another (and
better) reason?

Just curiosity.
Thanks.
--