[wp-hackers] Regarding wp markup language

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Apr 16 07:32:46 UTC 2010

Hi Sutharshan,

> When we design themes we are using the php tags and functions in between
> them, which make little bit complicated for those who are not an expert in
> themes creation. What I'm asking is that, will it be possible to create a
> markup language for wp themes to connect this the other php files would be
> easy in the designers view.
>
> I know its possible to create new markup language like fbml. But i dont have
> a clue how to do such thing. it is very hard to create a markup language?
>
> Can anyone guide me to make new markup language?

I''ve gone back and forth on this issue over the years until finally coming firmly to believe the opinion of Bill Karwin mentioned here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1424268/template-language-vs-straight-php

IMO better to learn PHP than to try to create yet-another-layer that will eventually end up being a bad version of PHP.  What's more, hundreds of tools understand PHP; zero tools understand a new markup language you are proposing to be designed.

FWIW, one thing I wish more WordPress designers would learn to use is HEREDOC syntax when generating HTML and other blocks of text:

HEREDOC: http://www.tuxradar.com/practicalphp/2/6/3

Of course to use HEREDOC would require being able to capture the_content() and the_excerpt() into variables which is currently impossible to do without some custom functions and/or extensions to the core, see:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12976

-Mike