[wp-hackers] [GSoC2010]WPmove use of XML-RPC

Piyush Mishra admin at oxymaniac.com
Thu Apr 8 16:12:22 UTC 2010

What about using XML-RPC to give out file lists in real time and wp on
ServerA(source) to produce the file chunks in form of zips of fixed sizes
and using the HTTP_API for the file downloads so that we can have a simple
progress bar of the net file move completed. as I have proposed in the 3rd
point of my proposal(http://piyushmishra.com/blog/ideas/file-move.html) we
can use the md5 checksum way to know that the full data of a particular
chunk has been transferred and that can be striked off the checklist giving
us a clear way of making the statistic and also ensure that very little or
no data is lost in a case when we have huge amount of data (huge enough to
not allow the move in 1 go)

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM, eric at eamann.com <eric at eamann.com> wrote:

> I'd recommend using the XML-RPC features but breaking the transmission up
> into
> chunks to verify data integrity.  Sending the blog's full content in one
> postback would work for small sites (tests) but break for very large sites
> if
> the server times out.  Breaking things up and posting a specific amount of
> data
> each time allows you to limit server timeouts and go back to restore any
> faulty
> data if a problem does crop up.
>

> On April 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM Joseph Scott <joseph at josephscott.org> wrote:
>
> > If you have the ability to install a plugin on both ends then you'll
> > likely better off using either custom XML-RPC methods or a revised
> > import/export process.
> >
> > The only significant advantage to using the existing XML-RPC methods
> > is that they ship with every WP blog (though they need to be turned on
> > it order to work).
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Piyush Mishra <admin at oxymaniac.com>
> wrote:
> > > In a chat with a fellow applicant(stas) he gave me the idea of using
> xml-rpc
> > > for each post but I think that using the new revised blog import/export
> > > component to generate and store the file on server and later import it
> from
> > > the other server will be a better option as it will reduce server to
> server
> > > communication and chances of failure and load. not sure which is the
> better
> > > way to go about it.
> > > What do you all think?
> >

> > --