[wp-hackers] wp_nav_menu too simplistic?

WraithKenny at aim.com WraithKenny at aim.com
Wed Apr 7 18:23:28 UTC 2010

On 4/7/2010 9:48 AM, Otto wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Cornelius, Gregory<gcorne at bu.edu>  wrote:
>> The new approach also requires themes to replace wp_list_pages() a
>> common function call in themes.
>
> I'm not really opposed to that, that sort of thing would be necessary
> anyway. Themes have to add support for new features. There's several
> new things in 3.0 that will require theme changes. The comment_form()
> stuff, for example. Themes always have to be changed for support, you
> can't back-support everything, not without also breaking backward
> compatibility.
>
> I just wish that the new menu stuff was capable of replacing the old
> way of doing things without such a major and crippling loss of
> functionality.
>
> -Otto

Opened a ticket for consideration that I believe would address the
concerns here:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/12900

My expected typical use of wp_nav_menu would be (if this ticket was
implemented) to set wp_list_pages as the main navigational element (as
to include all current and future pages), with only a few arbitrary
links next to it.