[wp-hackers] wp_nav_menu too simplistic?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Tue Apr 6 23:01:48 UTC 2010

> Still seems very limiting. What if I want to have the menu item fetch
> something entirely different, maybe display post links or something?
> Or items from an RSS feed? Think wider, menu items don't have to be a
> link to a URL only.

I'm talking solely about something that could be built into core. That is
not something that would be built into core, but hooks can be certainly
added to allow you to do that. Mike, thanks for the ticket to get started on
hooks.

> My ideal would be basically just like the widgets. I could do class
> My_Menu_Item extends Menu_Item_Widget, then define the configuration
> page and its params and then have an output() function to output the
> menu item from those params. Simple.

The menus ticket sat around for five weeks before it was decided to contact
Woo Themes. A week later their patch was committed, and the code was largely
rewritten over the next six weeks. So next time I would suggest your
thoughts are mentioned one to three months earlier in the development cycle.
More than 60 people made more than 350 comments to the initial menus ticket,
and more than 25 other tickets regarding the feature were since opened.