[wp-hackers] Making Updates Friendlier?

James Bisset lists at mediachrome.com
Tue Sep 8 21:07:46 UTC 2009

All my Wordpress installs now use this directory structure:

/index.php
/cms/wordpress/
/cms/wp-config.php
/cms/wp-content/

This makes updates and backups on shared hosting a doddle, including
systems with no SSH access, no CP, or reduced PHP privileges blocking
auto-updates.

But I can guarantee that I'll have at least two plugins in each
install which have had to be hacked to understand the 'unconventional'
directory structure, although it is legitimate and supported by
Wordpress.

So I update Wordpress core, but now I need to update the plugins. Do I
need to hack the plugins all over again? Which ones did I hack? How
many lines did I change?* What's different in the new plugin? And some
plugins will have a style dir or other custom content inside the
plugin dir, and suddenly my pain free upgrade for multiple sites isn't
looking so straightforward.

So, for me, good documentation for plugin developers on how to address
wp-content and wp-config.php - wherever they are - including sample
code or drop-in function is essential. You wouldn't believe the
variety of startling solutions folks are coming up with in its absence.

Oh, and some strongly worded advice about the benefits of storing
custom plugin data outside the plugin dir too.

*Yes, I realise I ought to keep changelogs of my own for every site -
I'm trying.