[wp-hackers] cron overload - help!

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Sun Sep 6 01:43:57 UTC 2009

I experimented with wp_schedule_event() on a site a short while ago,
without luck. I found another solution, but recently I noticed that my
Media Temple GPU usage has flagged the wp-cron.php on that site as
taking up about 25% of the total processing time for all my sites.

I used http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cron-view/, and sure
enough, my experiment has inadvertantly left a HUGE number of
scheduled events for that hook.

When I try to run wp_clear_scheduled_hook( 'my_hook' ), the page
doesn't seem to load. The site's running OK, but I really need a way
of clearing all these events out. I'm not sure if
wp_unschedule_event() is viable - and I've heard that
wp_clear_scheduled_hook() is just a wrapper for this anyway.

Thanks for any tips...