[wp-hackers] 404 Pages displaying as blank

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 4 16:11:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Leon Ash<leon.ash at tawnylion.com> wrote:
> If I remove the IIS6 custom 404 handler pointing to /index.php?error=404
> then the 'home' page works, but nothing else. Everything returns 404 pages?
> With the /index.php?error=404 on the IIS6 custom handler all works whether I
> have .htaccess or not. All, except the 'real' 404 errors.

Ahh. IIS. Ugh. IIS doesn't use .htaccess and doesn't know about URL
rewriting without custom addons.

So, I don't know much about IIS, but I do know that you're not
currently using any of the "rewrite" functionality for IIS, because
you're using the 404 trick.

Basically, by redirecting 404's to WordPress, you're accomplishing a
cheap form of rewriting. That's why you can't get 404's to work,
because you're using them to redirect to the main site instead.

-Otto