[wp-hackers] WXR format documentation

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:36:11 UTC 2009

Jeremy Visser wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 17:36 +0200, Harish Narayanan wrote:
>> (I thought about upgrading 1.0 -> 1.2 -> 1.5 ... until I reach a
>> WordPress version that can export itself as an XML file, but I must
>> transform the file heavily anyway afterwards. It seems easier to
>> construct an appropriate XML export directly from the database.)
>
> I'm not sure whether it contains upgrade code for 1.2 or 1.5, but
> versions of WordPress today contain upgrade code for all previous
> versions (at least back to 1.5, possibly further).
>
> So you can jump from WordPress 1.5 to 2.8, for instance.
>
> Might be worth making a copy of your DB into a new database and seeing
> what happens if you throw it at WordPress 2.8.

Hmm. Perhaps I will try this. I have been googling for reference
documentation on WXR for a couple of days and I haven't stumbled upon
anything.

I guess the plan then reads:

Make a DB copy -> Try upgrading to 2.8 (either directly or via an
intermediate step) -> Extract WXR -> Transform WXR -> Import WXR into
another DB.

Thanks,
Harish