[wp-hackers] Social Web Camp

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Sat Oct 24 13:31:39 UTC 2009

>> Imagine a world where everybody could participate easily in a
>> distributed yet secure social web. In such a world people could place
>> their photos, music, or other content on their web site
>> and give access to some of it to their friends, some to their family,
>> the rest to their colleagues, and some even to the friends of their
>> friends...
>
> Isn't that called Facebook?

Indeed, but Facebook is a walled garden: centralized, proprietary,
big-brother-y, etc.
The solutions they aim to discuss about at this barcamp, such as
FOAF+SSL, are indeed interesting - I've seen a presentation at the
Paris-Web conference, and it was quite compelling.
http://esw.w3.org/topic/foaf+ssl
http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/foaf_ssl_adding_security_to
http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/the_foaf_ssl_paradigm_shift

--