[wp-hackers] Plugin License Excluding Spam

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Fri Oct 23 13:47:18 UTC 2009

Chuck isn't asking about stopping spam. He's simply asking if there is a
way to release the software while also ensuring that he is insulated
from potential lawsuits if/when spammers start using the code.

Chuck, I'd love to say that you don't have to do anything to cover
yourself, but with the wild way that legal decisions come down these
days, I have to say that there isn't anything you can do to guarantee
insulation from litigation. I would think that the spammer's ISP and/or
hosting company would be targets well before your software would be, so
that's a little bit of insulation there.

I may be misunderstanding though. Are you more concerned about legal
insulation or image protection? Again, I'm not sure if there is anything
solid you can do to protect yourself in either case.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
@chrisjean