[wp-hackers] WordPress as CMS (was: wordpress security)

Nathan Rice ncrice at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 12:45:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Nathan Rice <ncrice at gmail.com> wrote:
    You're most likely about to be told either:

   1) If you want a website CMS (non-blog) then try drupal/joomla/EE
   2) If you MUST use WP as a site CMS (non-blog) just tell your client to
ignore the blog stuff.

   Good luck.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> I don't get it. Why would anybody want to use WordPress, but disable
> all the useful features?
> My advice would be to make a plugin that erases WordPress and installs
> some other piece of software more suitable for their needs.

I think I deserve a round of applause for calling that one.

Here's why people use WP for a site management system, as opposed to a blog:

1. It's familiar
2. It's a damn good page management tool
3. Themes are dead simple to create, or dead cheap to purchase.

The MOST POPULAR premium themes available are the themes that help people
set up a business website (NOT blog) and give the client the ability to
manage the page content.

What are we so intent on fighting this? We get it ... you blog ... and
that's why YOU like WordPress. But with so many people wanting to use WP as
their site management system (for the reasons stated above) aren't we being
a wee bit silly when we demand that people use WP strictly as a blogging
tool?

The people have spoken loud and clear (with their wallets). They don't want
to use joomla, drupal, mediawiki, etc. They want to use WordPress. They are
voluntarily choosing to use a system that was built for something else
because it's THAT MUCH better than the alternatives.

To use the illustration from above -- they're choosing to use the coffee
maker to boil water because the stove is so horribly unusable. The coffee
maker boils water, and that's all they need to know.