[wp-hackers] static websites - was: wordpress security

Chuck Peters cp at ccil.org
Wed Oct 21 23:30:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Stephen Rider
> <wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> > But as such we must accept that many users are using
> > WordPress to set up their sites, and edit them when needed, but are NOT
> > routinely adding new content, /a la/ a blog.  In such circumstances, a
> site
> > can **easily** go two months without being updated.
>
> IMO, such a site should not be using WordPress.
>
> If you're going to make a static site, WordPress is not the correct
> tool for the job.

Do others agree?

If wordpress isn't best for static sites, what would you recommend?

I am asking because we want to update a mostly static site we have had for
years.  Over time we added a news feed to some of the pages and via cron and
php to write out static html pages.  It would be really nice to get
something setup which made it easier for Kathy to edit the site.  Whatever
it is, it needs to be low cost or free and I would prefer it has a GPL. One
of the reasons I don't want to use wordpress for the old static site is I
would like to keep the old http://domain/dir/page.html and not use
redirects.

Chuck