[wp-hackers] WordPress as CMS (was: wordpress security)

William Canino william.canino at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:50:22 UTC 2009

I think using WordPress 2.8.4 as a CMS is like using a coffeemaker to
boil vegetables.  Office pantries probably don't have a stove or
cookware, but they all have a coffeemaker. And everyone knows how to
use a coffeemaker, right?  Yes, WordPress 2.8.4 as a CMS is a
MacGyverism.

Anyone who'd do it penalizes himself with all the software bloat and
overhead IN WordPress to make feeds, scheduled posts, chronological
articles, stickies, comments, paged comments, comment feeds, date
archives, et cetera.  He forces his web server and his readers to
suffer this burden.

(I'm guilty, too. I once set up an entire WordPress installation so I
can run one online poll.)

> But the generic "page" dynamic within WordPress
> is way too immature for it to realistically be
> anything other than a "blog" at this point
> in time.

Well said. Do you know why a lot of people are using WordPress for
their undated content? Because no alternative is widely available. So
do what you want, MacGyver, but remember that, at this time,
Automattic isn't leading to mature the Pages aspect of WordPress.  It
is, foremost, a coffeemaker.

Shall I put a Dr. McCoy line here, as well?