[wp-hackers] WordPress as CMS (was: wordpress security)

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Wed Oct 21 21:58:40 UTC 2009

+1 for removing the word 'blog' from pretty much anywhere it still
exists in the UI. It has become a completely untenable assumption
about WP sites.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Joost de Valk <joost at yoast.com> wrote:
>> Otto,
>> I think there are now dozens of people on this list who are NOT agreeing
>> with you.
>
> I'm totally uninterested in whether people agree with me or not. I'm
> giving my opinion because I'm trying to get feedback and understand
> why anybody in their right mind would want this sort of thing.

Okay good. I think we can all agree that you in no way represent the
mainstream of WordPress user or developer thinking on the subject of
WP for non-blogs (a.k.a. "wp as a cms"). Everyone else wants WP to be
stable, easy to use and safe for all kinds of sites, especially ones
people build with WP, which is all kinds. Since most of your arguments
stem from a core dissagrement we can also all stop trying to deal with
them (at least I will try not to let myself be baited by them).

Stephen your plugin seems like a decent idea though like others I
think it looks at 'cms' a little too narrowly. If anything what I'd
call your description is "Just Pages". To me making WP a  "cms" is
about adding more functionality, not removing what's there.
WP-JustPages anyone?

If you do want to go that route I love Andrew's idea of using the
existing permissions system to do so. Just install a capability/role
management plugin (there are several these days) and set it so that
the regular client accounts don't have any access to posts. If WP is
going to support your JustPages concept in core then it should be by
ensuring that the 'blog' features can be turned off by adequately
limiting permissions (really the same goes for links, pages etc.) As
the admin there's no reason for it to ever be hidden from you. I think
this system would also be a lot easier to maintain, your list of
changes would be hell to keep up as versions come and go and things
change on the backend.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org