[wp-hackers] WordPress as CMS (was: wordpress security)

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 21 20:47:30 UTC 2009

I don't get it. Why would anybody want to use WordPress, but disable
all the useful features?

I'm a strong believer in the right tool for the right job. If you're
not making a blog (by which I mean a stream of continuing content of
some type), then WordPress is not the right tool to be using.

If I wanted an easy-to-edit but semi-static site with no discussion or
feedback from other users, hooked to a templating and theming
mechanism, then I'd look at Wiki software instead, with editing being
limited to the registered users (and registration turned off). I'd
certainly not look at WordPress or any other "CMS" type software, nor
would I recommend any of these to a client for such a case.

My advice would be to make a plugin that erases WordPress and installs
some other piece of software more suitable for their needs. WordPress
is great, but it is not the end-all be-all of software packages. It
was never intended, and is not now, suitable for all cases. No
software is ever going suitable for all cases when the "case" is so
broad as "web site".

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, TN, United States