[wp-hackers] WordPress as CMS (was: wordpress security)

Jason Benesch jason at realestatetomato.com
Wed Oct 21 20:44:31 UTC 2009

 > 1) Remove "Posts" and "Comments" from main menu.  (Am I correct that
> direct links will still work?  Is there a way to remove those areas
entirely
> rather than just hiding the menu items?)

> Hook into 'admin_init' and redirect to dashboard or wherever.

You wouldn't want to do a redirect.  Just remove the specific page from the
menu array.

Example:

function edit_your_menu() {
    global $menu, $submenu;
    unset( $submenu[ 'wpmu-admin.php' ][30] );
}
add_action('admin_menu','edit_your_menu');

The menu is stored in the $menu array and the submenu is stored in the
$submenu array...

It seems like your problem isn't with functionality but more with semantics
of how the admin section is laid out.

If you are going to write a plugin, you could very easily just hook in to
the admin_menu and completely customize the look and feel of what you think
a CMS should look like.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Mike Little <mike at zed1.com> wrote:

> 2009/10/21 Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com>
>
> > [edited for clarity]
> > Note:  This email repeats a lot of things I said in another email, for
> the
> > benefit of those who are not following the Security thread.  For those
> who
> > *are* following that thread, please skim to the bottom, as I pose a new
> and
> > separate question from the security issues discussed elsewhere....
> >
> > ---
> >

> > The Big Question:  What would a "CMS" plugin have to do?  Posts and
> > comments are woven throughout the Admin, and I'd like to remove all
> aspects
> > of them from the menus.  My "to do" list is below -- if I'm missing
> > something, or if you have advice as to how to do some of this, I would
> > appreciate.
> >

> Stephen,
>
> Take a look at a plugin like Adminize
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/adminimize/
>
> which allows you turn do things like turn off the posts menu for individual
> levels of user, and turn off lots of other things at a fairly fine-grained
> level.
>
> You can also use the translation capability to 'translate' the names of
> things into something else. I know of one person who simply created a
> language pack that changed all references to 'post' to be 'news' or
> something similar.
>

> Mike
> --
> Mike Little