[wp-hackers] l10n object bloat and class PO

Johan Eenfeldt johan.eenfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:31:26 UTC 2009

Thanks for answering!

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Nikolay Bachiyski <nb at nikolay.bg> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 17:45, Johan Eenfeldt <johan.eenfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Question 1: is class PO [1] (wp-includes/pomo/po.php) ever used?
>>
>> I'm guessing it might possibly be in the WP.com admin generate plugin
>> pot stuff, but there doesn't seem to be anything in WordPress.
>
> Yes, whenever you are using translated version of WordPress, it is.

Could you give me a pointer? As far as I can see "class PO" is never
referenced anywhere.

>> Question 2: is there any reason not to remove (or split out) the
>> members of class Translation_Entry which are only used by PO (and not
>> MO)?
>
> I am working on improving the PO/MO classes for both speed and memory
> and I will have some actual results, soon. When I wrote the code my
> initial tests didn't show that much of a difference as the real-world
> usage did.

If there is anything to test or if you want any help anywhere I'm
working in this area again.

I saw http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10165 and was going to
look at that unless you are working on something else.

Thank you,
Johan