[wp-hackers] Major performance regression between 2.7 and 2.8

Johan Eenfeldt johan.eenfeldt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 13:44:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been doing some benchmarking[1] of the latest WordPress major
releases and found a regression of 40% (loadtime for empty stock
frontpage) between 2.7 and 2.8.

I've been working to track it down and I have so far found:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10971
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10972

Which gives us back a bit more than half of the regression.

There also appears to be performance regressions in (at least):
wp_widgets_init, sanitize_bookmark_field() and among the
actions/filters.

As I do not have any more time right now to work on this I'm hoping
someone else out there want to lend a hand.

Thanks,
Johan Eenfeldt

[1] Some graphs and stuff here:
http://devel.kostdoktorn.se/profiling-wordpress-performance-regression