[wp-hackers] E-Learning and Wordpress

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 13:53:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM, scribu <scribu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Your project seems to be a perfect fit for BuddyPress, a sister project.
>
> Check it out: http://buddypress.org/

Sorry about that. Didn't read the firts paragraph carefully.

For course resources we would like to innovate this slightly by allowing
> users to submit content to the 'knowledgebase', which can be tagged
> according to the content it relates to: articles, videos, audio, quotes,
> links, images, can all be uploaded by users. Content which is deemed good
> enough quality that it contrubites towards revision/learning for a course
> would be tagged by teachers with the course name/id. I envisioned having
> each of these items as a WordPress post in a special blog, which would have
> a custom theme to allow people to create content from the front-end
> (P2-esk).

This should be pretty straightforward. If you don't want to use the P2
theme, you can use the PostHaste plugin as a base.

We then need some kind of course management tool, like Moodle, which would
> allow us to record data on students, grades, courses etc. Any ideas whether
> this could be created within WP/BP/bbress some how? I'm keen to keep it as
> in-house as possible, because of integrations etc. The wordpress.orgplugins
> repo is built off bbPress, so it certainly is a powerful platform...

You will need a plugin that works with alot of custom tables for the course
management part, but it's do-able within the WP admin.