[wp-hackers] l10n object bloat and class PO

Johan Eenfeldt johan.eenfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 00:45:33 UTC 2009

Somewhat specialized questions, here...

Working on caching the $l10n object (responsible for 20-75% of
localized WordPress startup time) I've been banging my head a bit
against the wp-include/pomo/ classes.

$l10n is 3.3Mb out of the ~14Mb startup WP allocations in my test. At
least 750Kb of that appears to be totally unused.

Question 1: is class PO [1] (wp-includes/pomo/po.php) ever used?

I'm guessing it might possibly be in the WP.com admin generate plugin
pot stuff, but there doesn't seem to be anything in WordPress.

Question 2: is there any reason not to remove (or split out) the
members of class Translation_Entry which are only used by PO (and not
MO)?

Thanks,
Johan

[1] Localization files quick reference for the lazy: .po files are the
semi-user-friendly structured text files that are transformed to the
binary .mo files used by, among other programs, WordPress.